Top 5 Most Popular Sports in the World
5. Volleyball. You might not have expected it, but on the 5th spot is Volleyball. Volleyball is a simple game and this is the reason for it�s popularity. It is most popular in the developing regions of the world such as Turkey, Korea, Poland, Brazil, Italy, France, and many other European and African countries. In Asia, the game restricts to the countries like China and Japan. With 900 million global following and over 200 national federations registered, Volleyball is the 5th most popular sports and has the most registered federations than any other sport.
4. Tennis. With 1 billion fans from all around the globe, tennis is the 4th most followed sport. The previous 3 were all team games, whereas tennis is the first individual game in the list. The largest competitions of the tennis are the 4 grand slams. The unique thing about tennis is that there is gender equality. In all other sports like Football or cricket, women�s competitions don�t have the significance that men�s have. In tennis, all competitions, whether ladies will be competing or gentlemen, have the equal prize money and are considered equally significant.
3. Field Hockey. With a fan following of 2 billion people, a majority from Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia, hockey secures the 3rd spot in our list of top 10 most popular sports in the world. Hockey is the national sport of Pakistan and is most popular in the South Asian region that includes countries like India, Pakistan, China, and Malaysia. A decade ago, it was widely played in Pakistan and India but has fallen from the grace as there aren�t any significant opportunities left on the professional level as much as in other games like football and cricket.
2. Cricket. There is no dispute about which is the most popular sport in the world. It is definitely soccer and everyone agrees. But there are some disputes regarding the second place and according to our list, it is cricket. The game has a fan following of 2.5 billion people around the globe. There are a number of regions where people are even unaware of the existence of cricket. Australia, South Asia, South Africa, and the United Kingdom are the places where cricket is the most played, both on street level and professional level. The immense rivalry of Pakistan and India is one of the most watched games in the world after FIFA World Cup final and the Spanish el-Classico. Cricket may not be generating big revenues like other sports, but in the areas where it is played, cricket is nothing less than an absolute passion and a matter of life and death for the fans and the players.
1. Football or Soccer. Well, it shouldn�t be a surprise that the most popular and watched game on the globe is football or soccer. With a following of almost 4 billion fans from every continent, the sport remains at the top with no other game coming close to it. Europe is the main hub of football where the game is played at the most competitive level. The biggest competition in the club football is the UEFA Champions League in which Europe�s elite clubs compete for the silverware and loads of cash. A total of $1.5 Billion is given away in the competition to all the participating teams which is the highest prize money for a competition in all sports. Moreover, the most watched competition in the history has been the World Cup 2014. Stats show that a total of 770 million viewers tuned into the competition at any instant. In terms of revenue generation and finance, football is the best sport in the business with the biggest sport kit deals, highest paid athletes like Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, and some of the richest clubs such as Real Madrid. The 31-year-old Portuguese international and Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo is currently the richest football player on the planet. He has a net worth of $375 million and he earned a total of $88 million in 2016. He earned $55.4 million from Real Madrid through salary and bonuses for winning trophies. Moreover, his endorsement deals with several brands, including Nike, earned him loads. He also owns a hotel in Portugal and his personal clothing line with the name of CR7 lifestyle.